Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Dan Sartain - Doin' Anything I Say

If you’re not familiar with the work of Dan Sartain, you may be rather pleasantly surprised by his latest single ‘Doin’ Anything I Say’ Why? Because it’s by far the most classically rock and roll thing I’ve reviewed for Gobshout. As much as I enjoy a bit of the old indie tuneage, it’s good to hear some proper rocking out courtsey of the man from Birmingham, Alabama.

The rock and roll riffs of Doin’ Anything I Say kick in after a drum heavy introduction and they actually seem to make up most of the track. However, this is no bad thing because Sartain plays so well and the guitar solos are a joy to listen to.

The few vocals there are simple yet catchy with “doin’ anything I say” forming the key part of the chorus. Their lo-fi style contrast well with the rockabilly riffs and if they were to be compared to anything it would be favourably to the vocal style of Hot Hot Heat.

There’s really not that much else to say about this release from the Americans latest album Dan Sartain Lives other than the fact that, apparently, ‘Doin’ Anything I Say’ is popular among American sportsmen.

Expect it to appear on Sky Sports montages shortly.

(Originally written for Gobshout)

No comments:

Post a Comment